"The illustrations in the children's book invite the child in; the words invite him
to stay, and to come back again." E. Roberts

Friday, November 16, 2012

I got my issue of the SCBWI Bulletin last night in the mail. (It may have got here sooner but I haven't looked at the pile in a little while.)For those of you that don't know SCBWI is the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators. I have read many books and articles about writing for children, and most of them refer to this organization as a resource. It is a National organization, but we have branches in Oregon. I love the conferences, and they used to do a fall retreat in silver falls that was to die for. (I hear that they may be bringing it back.) I am very impressed with some of the new changes with SCBWI. They have updated their website and are connecting writers/illustrators and editors/publishers in new ways. You can check it out at www.scbwi.org (And yes, I am going to update my gallery page- I know the pictures are ancient and I have gotten better,sigh.)

I love poring over the Bulletin, but I have always loved reading about writing and illustrating. In fact, I started my first critique group because of my habit of reading about writing. The librarian at the local library, in Sheridan when I lived there, approached me because she noticed how many writing and illustrating books I was checking out. She mentioned that she was looking to start a group but she didn't want to be in charge. I wasn't sure I wanted to be in charge either so we co-started a group together. I love you Penny! I have always read more about writing than I have actually written. I am quite the authority on things I have never tried, but want to.  That critique group got me through the producing of both of my children's books. I hope that I am able to build a good group in this area. It is really hard to write, without friends giving you feedback and support.


No comments:

Post a Comment